Monday, February 17, 2014

The Tin Man and Sharing Wisdom

Admission:  When I'm driving about, I sing along with whatever tunes are playing on my car stereo - and that's when I had this Just a Minute moment.

While driving to a client meeting last week, I was belting out my best along with America to their Tin Man when the lyrics took on an additional meaning for me:


Oh, Oz never did give nothin' to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.

The Shared Wisdom model, as described by Mary Benet McKinney, OSB, is one that I frequently employ when facilitating leadership strategy sessions and other meetings.  The premise is that the wisdom is in the room already - each has a piece, and no one person has all of it.

Without exception, the leadership teams already have their wisdom before I start to work with them - I'm there to allow participants to focus on the wisdom they already have.  This frees them to concentrate on identifying other information they need to move forward with decisions, change, and strategic plans. 

America, thanks for the reminder!


Interested in how my facilitation services can help you focus on the wisdom in the room?
Contact me at parentehrg AT gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment